I finally got around to making this recipe this weekend, which I found on fitsugar.com. It was too good not to share again with you guys. I went into it, not expecting much. Eh, I’m no where near a good “baker” so was almost positive it wouldnt turn out. (I know, so optimistic right?) Well, it turned out fantastic! I had my boyfriend taste test these, then a quest bar and he said that mine tasted better! Shh…dont tell anyone. 🙂
1 cup raw almonds
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
5 ounces vanilla protein powder
1/3 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips (optional- I left these out)
- Prepare an 8 x 8-inch square pan by lining with parchment paper or cooking spray.
- Measure out 1/4 cup of the almonds, chop, and set aside for the topping.
- In a food processor, pour in the remaining 3/4 cup of almonds and the salt. Process until you have almond butter, several minutes.
- Add the oats, protein powder, and maple syrup, and process until smooth.
- Press mixture into the pan using the back of a spoon. Top with chopped almonds, pressing those into the bars.
- Place chocolate chips in a small glass bowl, and microwave until melted. Drizzle chocolate over the bars, and allow to set in the fridge for 20 minutes before cutting.
- Store uneaten bars in an airtight container in the fridge.
The only problem I encountered was the fact that the bars were not sticking as well and the mixture felt too crumbly. My fix- adding a tablespoon of coconut oil.
These can definitely be mistaken for a dessert….but nope! Totally vegan, 13 grams of protein per 166 calorie serving. Such a good snack, which I cant stop snacking on.
Recipe source: Fitsugar.com