We did it again! This past Sunday we ran the Live Ultimate Run San Francisco. I know, you probably think I’m crazy for running another race right after my big marathon but, I’ve definitely have that runners high! Here are some photos:
New kicks! I decided to add more color to my life. 🙂 These Asics Gel-Noosa’s had the best reviews so I went for it after days of visiting every running store in SF and reading every single review of each running shoe! These are SO comfortable, give you tons of support and are so fun! Highly recommended!
This run was awesome! Well, minus the fact that I made a major mistake of running on an empty stomach which gave me zero energy, but we can talk about that later. The weather was absolutely beautiful, a little hot, but can’t complain about running with gorgeous views of the golden gate and SF bay. My friend and I both got our best personal times! It was a Quarter Marathon, 6.55 miles, 59 minutes, with a 9:02 pace. We kicked some major butt out there and am really excited to cut some time off for the next ones. Some negatives, (attention Live Ultimate Crew): the course could have been a little more planned out rather than running in a circle twice. Maybe it’s because I run that same route everyday, but we could have gone over the bridge or down to Fisherman’s Wharf rather than running the same route twice. One other minor issue, the water stations were poorly maintained. They had zero water ready and then the next time around gave us cups to fill up on our own! Water and fuel is SO important to us runners (and so is time) and to have that water ready is key! Other than that, this race was AMAZING! I would recommend it to others next year. There is no better way to start your morning with a huge accomplishment of finishing a run before 10am! The medals were the best I’ve seen, and the post race snacks were awesome! Tons of food to fuel (which is THE most important thing), water, green teas, photo stations, the post run area was fantastic. Thanks Live Ultimate Crew for making this happen!
Fueling before and after a run is one of the best things you can do for your body. I put together some tips on how to fuel, so you don’t make the same mistakes I have. 🙂
Before the Race:
- Make sure to carbo load the night before. You want to eat enough carbs to give you energy for the morning, but no heavy sauces. My fave is a simple bowl of whole wheat pasta with a little butter and olive oil.
- Avoid alcohol. Trust me, I’ve made this mistake in the past. The last thing you want to do is run hungover. It’s not fun and you will hate yourself for it. Plus it depletes all your hydration which your body needs!
- Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate! This is SO important. Before runs, after runs, or even if you’re not running. You should be drinking up to a gallon a day. Your body needs it, as simple as that!
- Eat a light breakfast an hour before the race, but nothing that you haven’t eaten before. You don’t want to throw your body off by trying something new. Go for a whole wheat piece of toast with peanut butter or a protein bar to give you energy.
- Drink your normal cup of coffee (if that’s routine for you). Don’t try something new if you don’t drink coffee, but personally I know I need to wake up!
- Drink a glass of water to hydrate, but make sure to use the restroom before you run! 🙂
During the race:
- Water stops are your friend. I usually stop every single time because I know my body needs a lot to hydrate.
- GU gel is the best thing ever! Take some before you start and during! This stuff gives you a boost of energy which you will need! I personally love the gel to start and the drops during.
After the race:
- Sprint to the end and grab that H2O! Coconut water is also my fave. Or any post race drinks.
- Don’t forget to eat. I have also made this mistake before. I’m not a fan of bananas but love them for right after a run. You need to refuel your body and replenish of all that it lost during the cardio. Without food I have felt like I was going to pass out. Food, water, food, water. That’s all I can think about after a long run.
- Take lots of pics, and enjoy the post race festivities!
When is your next race? Mine is the Nike Women’s Half Marathon in October! (3rd year in a row woohoo!!)
Thanks for reading!!!